Fresh Spring Rolls

G - BOMBS

Category: Main Dishes - Vegan

Spring rolls make a fun, festive and portable meal. Serve them with a healthy peanut butter dipping sauce.

• Recipe
  • My Notes
  • Nutrition Facts
  • Ratings & Comments (5)

Ingredients

7 ounces (1/2 package) firm tofu, cut into sticks
1 cup mixed baby greens
1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into match sticks
1 small cucumber, sliced into thin strips
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
8 sheets rice paper (spring roll wrappers)
For the Dipping Sauce: (see note)
1/3 cup no-salt, no-oil-added peanut butter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon coconut aminos
2 teaspoons date syrup (see note)
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons water or as needed

Instructions:

Fill a shallow pan with an inch of water. Have a dinner plate ready next to the pan. Make sure your prepared fillings are within reach. Combine chopped scallions, cilantro and mint in a small bowl.

Place one rice paper in the water and let in rest for about 15 seconds, until the sheet is pliable but not too floppy. Carefully lay it flat on the dinner plate. Leaving about 1 inch of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with a few pieces of baby greens and two strips of tofu followed by some cabbage, shredded carrot, cucumber and jalapeño. Sprinkle generously with the herb mixture.

Fold the lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward just until the filling is compactly enclosed. Fold over the short sides like you would to make a burrito. Lastly, roll it up. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

To make the peanut sauce, whisk together the peanut butter, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, date syrup and garlic. Whisk in water as needed to make a creamy but dip-able sauce.

Serve spring rolls with the peanut sauce on the side. You can serve them whole or sliced in half on the diagonal.

Note:
For the peanut allergic, or to save time, Dr. Fuhrman's Sesame Ginger Dressing works well as a dipping sauce.

To make date syrup, blend together 6 pitted medjool (or 12 regular dates) and 1 cup of water. Store refrigerated in an airtight container. It will keep for 1 week.

My Notes: (Click Edit to enter your notes about this recipe)

Serves 4

Per Serving:

Calories 277
Protein 13 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Sugars 10 g
Total Fat 13.9 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 1.4 mg
Sodium 160 mg
Fiber 5 g
Beta-Carotene 3284 ug
Vitamin C 17 mg
Calcium 103 mg
Iron 2.5 mg
Folate 80 ug
Magnesium 61 mg
Potassium 510 mg
Zinc 1.1 mg
Selenium 6.2 ug

My Rating: 
(click on a star to select your rating)

s e yoder

11/12/2020 08:11 PM

Rated this recipe: (no rating)

How many seconds for the rice paper soak please?

EllenGray replies:

11/13/2020 10:16 AM

The internet says 10-15.  I'm not sure I soaked mine that long.

I had been wondering if rice paper was still safe ever since the arsenic-in-rice controversy.  I guess this is a yes?  Rice paper is safe?

Becky JoAnn replies:

11/13/2020 05:33 PM

Rated this recipe:

I soak mine `15 sec. the closer i get to 20, the more likely the paper tears when filling. Mine continue to soften while loading with the fillings. 

As far as safety, I think this would be considered a treat food and so any exposure would be minimal.  I found an organic rice paper from Vietnam on Amazon.  I'm not sure their soils aren't polluted, but isn't the arsinic problem associated with tobacco and cotton fields?

This reply was last edited on 11/13/2020 06:47 PM

nancy9132

11/13/2020 01:58 PM

i don't see the tofu mentioned in the instructions.

Becky JoAnn replies:

11/13/2020 06:48 PM

Rated this recipe:

I like TJ's sprouted tofu.  Otherwise I would press our a good amount of the water so the tofu is not too wet.

Becky JoAnn

11/13/2020 05:53 PM

Rated this recipe:

If you or your family like spring rolls, you'll like these!  I often make a double batch for my son. I was introduced to this recipe last May and it was the first time I used date paste. I am pleased to know that tip!.  We like the dipping sauce thinner so I always add more water. I add more rice vinegar, aminos, and garlic to taste.  I also add finely diced garlic as we like the texture.  I'm looking to mimic the spring roll dipping sauce in the product TJ's used to sell. They had a little bit of some sort of red hot pepper included.  That would be a nice touch for those who like the spice. Now I'm inspired to call TJ's and see if they still have that product in their records :)

This comment was last edited on 11/13/2020 06:49 PM

vaporz

01/08/2021 01:27 PM

Rated this recipe:

Rees

11/24/2023 09:03 PM

Rated this recipe:

These are super delicious ?? ?? Light and refreshing...yet filling.