Super Seed Oatmeal

G - BOMBS

A trio of sunflower, hemp and flax seeds team up in this satisfying hot oatmeal. Seeds provide omega-3 fats which are essential to your health and lignans which reduce cholesterol and provide extra protection against cancer.

• Recipe
  • My Notes
  • Nutrition Facts
  • Ratings & Comments (12)

Ingredients

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 cup unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk
2 tablespoons raisins
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or mixed berries
1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon hemp seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground flax seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Instructions:

In a saucepan, combine the oats, non-dairy milk and raisins. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring gently to prevent sticking, until oats are tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in blueberries and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

Remove from heat and stir in seeds and cinnamon.

My Notes: (Click Edit to enter your notes about this recipe)

Serves 1

Per Serving:

Calories 385
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 51 g
Sugars 8 g
Total Fat 14.2 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 42 mg
Fiber 9.2 g
Beta-Carotene 26 ug
Vitamin C 3 mg
Calcium 37 mg
Iron 4.3 mg
Folate 74 ug
Magnesium 128 mg
Potassium 304 mg
Zinc 1.2 mg
Selenium 5.2 ug

My Rating: 
(click on a star to select your rating)

Elijah

02/14/2006 08:16 PM

Rated this recipe:

This is great! At first I was actually using 3 cups of oatmeal but I think it is supposed to be 3 cups cooked oatmeal so I only use 1.5 cups dry oatmeal with 2 1/4 cup water. I never added a persimmon since I have not found one yet. I add the peeled apple and Cinnamon right when I start cooking it along with the raisins shortly after and the ground flax seed just before cooking is complete

I also grind the sunflower seeds in the vitamix since I was not chewing them fully.
Grinding them makes them super absorbable and I sprinkle the ounce on top of the oatmeal once it is done and in the bowl. And finally I pour the soymilk over the oatmeal and ground flaxseed in the bowl.

Unsulphered Apricots and/or dates also make a good substitute if you are out of raisins.
Date sugar (dried dates) also is good as a sweetner.

NewJerseyNancy

09/11/2007 01:35 PM

Rated this recipe:

This breakfast is SOOO healthy and SOOO tasty I may even be able to get my teenagers to eat it! Easy and quick to make. Beautiful to look at! I used mixed frozen berries which added more color and taste. I may add walnuts or pecans the next time I try it!

GourmetVegan

11/01/2008 01:23 PM

Rated this recipe:

Too heavy and too carb-rich for me. Knocked me right out. I got so sleepy I had to take a nap right after breakfast... Not very micro-nutrient rich either.

reederbunch

12/20/2008 09:47 AM

Rated this recipe:

I made this recipe for our family this morning. The kids loved it. I did not read the directions thoroughly and cooked the oats with water instead of soy milk. Oops! But they still loved it! I also didn't add the sunflower seeds, because our family eats way too many seeds/nuts. Nicely sweetened with Fruit! We will make again.

Theresa2

12/28/2008 07:59 AM

Rated this recipe:

I did enjoy this breakfast. It was a nice change. I didn't use vanilla soy milk though. I used unsweetened soy milk. It was still yummy. I used dried apricots instead of raisins. I think next time I'll use raisins.

KerryM

02/26/2009 10:27 AM

Rated this recipe:

This was delish! I had Bob's red mill 5 grain and flax meal cereal instead of oats. Didn't have apple and raisins. I had currents and goji berries. It turned out great! Thanks for the yummy recipe.

ckemonster

04/25/2009 09:11 PM

Rated this recipe:

Love this. This is quick and easy and tastes great. We all enjoy it.

scawa1952

10/18/2016 11:37 AM

Rated this recipe: (no rating)

I usually leave the house at 4:30 to get to work. Is there a way to fix this for the week and put in the microwave for breakfast at the office during the week?

dmedia189 replies:

03/15/2017 06:50 PM

I make a batch and heat up single servings all the time........works great!

nbeaulie

08/03/2020 08:37 PM

Amazing, creamy recipe.  Entire family loved it.  Substituded raw pumpkins seeds for the sunflower.

Rosesofjoy59!

01/09/2022 10:01 AM

Fantastic! Fullness-sweetness-and delectable for Sunday morning!  Easy to prepare and cook! A WINNER!  Added to my recipe box! Rated a FIVE! 

JulieBaronUK

04/30/2022 05:23 AM

Rated this recipe:

A favourite in our household.

This comment was last edited on 04/30/2022 05:25 AM

bjtdmt79

11/19/2022 11:44 AM

Rated this recipe:

I really like the heartyness and healthiness of this recipe. I make extra to reheat for a quick breakfast.